Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Who's been reading The DaVinci Code to my daughter?!

Seriously. I wanna know. Is her preschool showing The Last Temptation of Christ, and I just don't know it yet?

Big's been a faithful Sunday school student for many weeks. She's brought home several valuable lessons that we've re-enacted at home, including: how to be a shepherd (like Abraham and Lot), how to be a sheep, how to play Jacob's Ladder, how to catch 153 fish (like the disciples). In the past month or so, there have been a couple of lessons about Jesus visiting Mary and Martha. The first was the story of Martha resenting her sister for sitting at Jesus' feet to hear him speak, rather than getting up off her holier-than-thou a*ss to help prepare the meal. This week's lesson was called "Mary shows love" and it's the story of Mary washing Jesus' feet with perfume and drying them with her hair(I think Big was trying to call it scented oil, but it came out sounding like Sentsus. Or maybe Sentences. I don't remember. Not the point.)

No problem so far. But yesterday she started putting two and two together and announced that someday Mary and Jesus can get married and have their own babies. Just like in Dan Brown's book, The DaVinci Code. OK, so he wrote about Mary Magdalene and I don't think that's the one Big is talking about. And if my 4yo can come up with the idea on her own, it can't be that far out there.

On other Jesus themes, Big is still really fuzzy on the concept of death. A couple of weeks ago she was asking me about her friend Kenzie's daddy. (Kenzie doesn't have a daddy at home; she was adopted by a single woman.) Big asked me if K's daddy died on the cross, like Jesus. And even though I said No to that one, she informed me that if he did, then he would come back and be alive on Easter, just like Jesus.

Pastor Jen, if you're out there, please assure me that Big's not going to be struck down for blasphemy.

No comments: